Easter Lilies – Highly Toxic to Cats


Your cat isn’t himself. He’s been vomiting since yesterday and has been lethargic. He doesn’t seem interested in his food, but he is very thirsty and has spent a lot of time in the litter box. It all started a few hours after he knocked your flower vase off the table and you caught him chewing on the lilies…

Many people are unaware of the popular Easter gift’s danger to their feline companions. The tiniest amount ingested from the lily plant can prove to be fatal, causing lethargy, vomiting, excessive drinking and urination and within 72 hours of ingestion can potentially lead to kidney failure. If emergency treatment is provided immediately, a full recovery may be possible. Treatment usually includes inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal to absorb toxins as well as hospitalization and intravenous fluid therapy.

A typical veterinary bill after ingesting lilies can exceed $1000 and include charges for some of the following items: Consultation/Examination, emergency charge, vomiting induction, charcoal intubation, blood work and urinalysis, IV leg catheter, IV fluid maintenance, hospitalization, professional care, and nursing care. Additional hospitalization and care and repeat blood work may also be required. In the event of kidney failure, additional hospitalization and care would be required.

Interestingly, dogs that ingest lilies have shown only mild gastrointestinal upset. Safer alternatives to lilies include Easter orchids, Easter cactus, Easter daisies or violets.

Let’s keep our feline friends safe and happy this Easter season by keeping them away from lilies!

For more information call Chestermere Veterinary Clinic 403-272-3573.

Like us on Facebook!